Peering - Benefits?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Oct 30 17:05:58 UTC 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Thanks for playing devil's advocate...  I am truly trying to cover
> both
> sides of the discussion - technically it's what we want for sure but
> the
> top of the food chain looks beyond just what a technical team wants to
> do as I'm sure we're all plagued by sometimes ...
>
> In our specific case, after factoring in ALL costs in an extensive
> analysis - transit and peering end up very close .. peering being a
> very
> slight amount above transit in our case.  At the end of the day it's
> almost a moot point from a cost perspective (you can tell I'm not a
> bean
> counter lol)

If it is break even, the "intangibles" of peering clearly make it a
winner.  Plus, as traffic increases, I bet the "cost" of peering goes
down.  And everyone's traffic is increasing.

> I would argue though that even with 4 transit providers (which we have
> now), that peering is an excellent venue to take on - even for the
> time/management involved.  Of course that opinion I can only speak for
> our situation in that regard..;)

Perhaps dropping to 3 or even 2 transit providers is in order when you
start peering?  That would allow you to give larger commits, reducing
unit costs.

You still have plenty of vectors if you can peer off a significant
fraction of your traffic.  For instance, lets say you can peer at
least 25% of your traffic (a pretty modest amount).  If you split your
traffic evenly across four providers, this lets you drop one with no
loss of redundancy.  Plus you get all the other things peering is good
for.

--
TTFN,
patrick