Network topology [Solved]

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Oct 15 18:49:00 UTC 2008

Colin Alston wrote:

> Maybe there should be something (I mean like, someone should come up
> with a standard :P) to trace switches in a path... Problem is I think
> even then the simple devices won't bother to support it.

I have been away from it for ma while and in truth don't know the
answer--but--

To the best of my knowledge, "Layer two Switches" in fact operate as
multi-port bridges.

If that is true, then they ought to be transmitting BDUs which should be
detectable and used for mapping.

If the switches are all from the same manufacturer, there is a chance
that the manufacture has a proprietary mapping tool.
--
Requiescas in pace o email              Two identifying characteristics
                                              of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:     http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs