spurring transition to ipv6 -- make it faster

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Wed Oct 15 02:45:27 UTC 2008

If P2P became IPV6, and therefore universally endpoint addressable, and
therefore seeded by every download, as opposed to solely seeded by those
who have enough clue to configure the inbound ports through their IPV4
NAT, then the bandwidth problem should solve itself, at least for the
widely popular downloads.

Assuming every downloader could also seed, for the popular stuff, the
traffic would be primarily local, which is not where the bottleneck is
in most cases.

Of course, this is assuming that the reason the SPs are opposed to P2P
isn't related to their desire to derive revenue from the content that is
non-ratable if delivered over P2P, but that is a different topic.