IPv6 Wow

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Mon Oct 13 07:13:14 UTC 2008

On 13/10/2008, at 7:18 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Nathan Ward wrote:
>
>> 6to4 is enabled by default in Vista - any Vista machine with a non-
>> RFC1918 address will use 6to4. It is also available in some linksys
>> routers, and is enabled by default in Apple Airport Extreme.
>
> I've been told there is a difference between OEM and non-OEM Vista
> machines when it comes to Teredo being activated or not.

I've not heard that, I'll be interested if someone can confirm?

Perhaps certain vendors disable IPv6 because of the lack of relays
etc. in the network causing performance problems.

>> Perhaps a good way to do it is advertise outside Europe, but have
>> the providers that get your advertisement out there prepend their
>> AS a few times as it leaves. That way, US providers will still
>> prefer US 6to4 relays (ie lower latency) but any who don't get a
>> 192.88.99.0/24 route from the US will us your relay in Europe.
>> Kinda gets you best of both worlds.
>
> Yeah, that's been one option as well, prepending 2-3 times to our
> peers/transit in the US is probably a good middle way.
>
> Regarding some numbers on 6to4 and Teredo usage, I'd like to point
> people to this thread on the ipv6ops IETF list:
>
> <http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2008/msg01582.html>
>
> If someone has some nice code that'll take a list of IPv6 addresses
> and break it down to geographical distribution of native/teredo/
> 6to4, I'd be more than happy to run it on my data.

Teredo and 6to4 is easy - translate the addresses to IPv4 and
geolocate with maxmind geoip or something.
IPv6 is harder, you have to build a geolocation database, which I
suppose you'd have to build from either origin AS location, or
whatever location data the RIR has, for the prefix an address is in.

I have been intending on building a map from Teredo and 6to4 using
IPv6 addresses from my bittorrent population stuff, and have that as
one output of a periodic study. I'm not sure how to do non-Teredo/6to4
addresses though, so if you've got some ideas there I'll whip
something up, the Teredo/6to4 stuff is very simple.

--
Nathan Ward

--
Nathan Ward