IPv6 Wow

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Oct 13 06:18:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Nathan Ward wrote:

> 6to4 is enabled by default in Vista - any Vista machine with a
> non-RFC1918 address will use 6to4. It is also available in some linksys
> routers, and is enabled by default in Apple Airport Extreme.

I've been told there is a difference between OEM and non-OEM Vista
machines when it comes to Teredo being activated or not.

> Perhaps a good way to do it is advertise outside Europe, but have the
> providers that get your advertisement out there prepend their AS a few
> times as it leaves. That way, US providers will still prefer US 6to4
> relays (ie lower latency) but any who don't get a 192.88.99.0/24 route
> from the US will us your relay in Europe. Kinda gets you best of both
> worlds.

Yeah, that's been one option as well, prepending 2-3 times to our
peers/transit in the US is probably a good middle way.

Regarding some numbers on 6to4 and Teredo usage, I'd like to point people
to this thread on the ipv6ops IETF list:

<http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2008/msg01582.html>

If someone has some nice code that'll take a list of IPv6 addresses and
break it down to geographical distribution of native/teredo/6to4, I'd be
more than happy to run it on my data.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se