IPv6 Wow

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Oct 12 20:53:13 UTC 2008

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> This brings up an interesting question, should we stop announcing our
> 6to4 relays outside of Europe? Is there consensus in the business how
> this should be done? I have heard opinions both ways.

I can understand why some folks would say stop, but unfortunately Europe
has the closest public 6to4 relays to the US, and our own providers
don't seem to want to put any up.  That means 6to4 will break for a
great many folks who _are_ trying to use IPv6 (like developers trying to
get ahead of the curve and make sure their apps don't break when the
transition finally happens) but whose providers haven't clued in yet.

(My traceroutes to 192.88.99.1 have a next-to-last hop in Amsterdam, and
I'm on one of the largest ISPs in the US, which apparently hasn't
figured out 6to4, much less native IPv6.)