cnn.com - Homeland Security seeks cyber counterattack system(Einstein 3.0)

Matthew Kaufman matthew at eeph.com
Mon Oct 6 19:57:39 UTC 2008

Matlock, Kenneth L wrote:
> "The system "would literally, like an anti-aircraft weapon, shoot down
> an attack before it hits its target," he said. "And that's what we call
> Einstein 3.0."
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't even a basic firewall or ACL
> provide the same functionality? Drop the packet, drop the attack? I'm in
> the wrong business if implementing a firewall can net me $millions$ by
> using appropriate buzzwords.....

It sounds like the first step for such a firewall vendor would be to pay
the appropriate license fees for the Einstein name and likeness...

Then a little IP address geo-location coupled to the launch system and
you're set. Any collateral damage would be no worse than the sort that's
been caused by real anti-aircraft weapons.

Matthew Kaufman
matthew at eeph.com
http://www.matthew.at