143.228.0.0/16 and house.gov

Ernie Rubi ernesto at cs.fiu.edu
Wed Oct 1 04:41:12 UTC 2008

Hi folks, just musing...

 From an ops perspective, wonder just how much traffic caused:

  "This morning, our engineers sounded the alarms ... and we have
installed a digital version of a traffic cop. We enacted stopgaps that
we planned for last night. We had hoped we didn't have to."
	--Jeff Ventura, communications director for the House's chief
administrator. (from http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/30/congress.website/index.html)

Don't .govs have enough b/w or at least ability to add b/w in order to
satisfy their 'public outreach/information' role? (not a rhetorical
question...hehe)

It also seems to me that adding load balancing, firewall, throttling,
etc methods for traffic shaping might actually make the problem worse
by adding yet another layer(s) of hardware/software that may be prone
to bottlenecking or overloading.

whaddayathink?

Ernie M. Rubi
Network Engineer