Origin ASN seen vs Origin ASN in Whois Records Report?

Heather Schiller heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Nov 24 18:10:35 UTC 2008

Joe Abley wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2008, at 21:17, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>
>> Presumably it's from the "Origin AS" field in WHOIS:
>
> Ah, thanks (and also thanks to others who pointed that out off-list).
>
> That seems like a weird anachronism, to be honest. Perhaps it's only
> because nobody has ever tried to use it for anything that there's never
> been any reason for the ARIN community to propose that the collection of
> such information be stopped.
>

> Joe

The policy is relatively new.. (Spring 2007) and adopted by the ARIN
community after vetting at 2 meetings.. It's optional, so I can't
imagine why anyone would propose that ARIN stop collecting this information.

http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2006_3.html

It may be that it's "newness" helps w/ the accuracy.. only time will tell.

  --heather

  Heather Schiller	Verizon Business
  Customer Security	1.800.900.0241
  IP Address Management	help4u at verizonbusiness.com