Google/Yahoo - Geo-Location Issues

HRH Sven Olaf Prinz von CyberBunker-Kamphuis MP sven at cyberbunker.com
Thu Nov 20 11:58:20 UTC 2008

plenty of problems with that over here too.

funnily enough google seems to completely ignore the coutry code in
assigned PA/PI and only take the one in the PA -allocation- for the LIR
itself (or more precisely, whichever the fuck stupid little country the LIR
happened to be registered in at the moment the company was founded decades
ago, as this is not easily updated, ending up with workstations in
venezuela getting google in some obsolete crappy wannabe german dialect
(dutch), which btw is considered completely obsolete for use on anything
serious even in the netherlands itself. (maybe for ordering beer but
that's about it) ;)

they should just forget about this geolocation crap and just do it in
english, unless specificed otherwise (for example, by going to
www.google.de instead of google.com), provide an interface for the network
administrator to set the default language for individual netblocks (which
is something entirely different than the country code in whois, plently
of offices in let's say dubai where people speak let's say french all day
for example) or at the very minimum take the country code from the
ASSIGNMENTS rather than the ALLOCATIONS

(or just accept that countries and other languages are an obsolete concept
and just force everyone to use english only, problem solved.)

getting google in klingon is not much use, even if it would be the "local"
klingon version of the country surrounding our building (which in most
cases isn't much use either), it should still be network-block-owner definable