Router Choice

isabel dias isabeldias1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 19:07:05 UTC 2008

Raymondo .....

I guess you are bringing everyone together on the achieving resilience  and "efficient" Load Balancing just in case the one path is temporarly unavailable ...... :-)

*****commit/rollback
CISCO IOS
save a configuration to the NVRAM with the copy running-config startup -config command
http://www-europe.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/wan/mgx/mgx_8850/software/mgx_r3/rpm/rpm_r1.1/configuration/guide/appc.html

JUNIPER JUNOS
You just have to send you syslog messages to  /var/log/messages to a central point of management and avoid /dev/null :-)
The best practice would be to follow the same in all Cisco devices Catos or IOS based ones.

And again that is why management tools have their relevance and have cron jobs in place to keep the latest changes -accounting included)
but yes you are right we can always "grep" something out and find what has changed.

The commit concept is an interesting one and bring us back to the way they have compiled and allowed us "users" to fiddle around w/ the OS. Some versions not mentioned here
require the word "comit" to be typed after a stop/start of some services-PID. Let us say a gracefull reestart of the process ......

And yes the "old batle" ethernet vs ATM interfaces ....gosh ATM just had a "credit crunch" for the past years and ETHERNET standard knocked it down big time!  Yes, the argument still standands ....if we want to take this further to the QoS/reliability ....I bet a lot of consultants would love an payed argument on this :-)

As far as I am aware there are still a few interopability issues going on w/ some vendors and Eth-IEEE P802.3ba 40Gb/s, specially w/ having features available such as 802.1q/vlans etc ...but the card is there and available for everyone to work on ....

And the world is moving to the 100 Gb Eth .....and so does IPv4 to IPv6.

.//ID