Internet partitioning event regulations

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Wed Nov 5 23:04:30 UTC 2008

William Herrin wrote:
>> Which government?
>
> First, let me say that I think peering regulation is a terrible idea.
> No matter how cleverly you plan it, the result will be that fewer
> small companies can participate. That's the character of regulation:
> compliance creates more barriers to entry than it removes.

The problem isn't that which networks don't peer with each other it is
that some networks don't buy transit from anyone.  That is what
causes partition related outages and distortions in peering policies.
If regulation could be part of the 'solution' then that would be the
place to start.

But despite the flaws with the current environment it really isn't that
bad and any regulation would likely be a disaster for the industry.

- Kevin