On the subject of multihoming

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Nov 4 21:04:32 UTC 2008

Colin Alston wrote:
> On 2008/11/04 10:32 PM Charles Wyble wrote:
>> Obviously as they are consumer connections, I wouldn't get a BGP feed
>> so would need to download a copy, which has the risk of stale data.
>> Perhaps some sort of multihop BGP setup?
>>
>> I have done some research and found a lot of references to small site
>> multihoming without BGP for link redundancy but not for traffic
>> engineering.
>
> I've played with that before. Essentially just EBGP Multi-hop with
> next-hop rewrites on various community prefixes. Of course I had
> access to a donor feed, that is probably the largest hurdle.

My first job was at a place with a direct ARIN allocation and BGP to
Sprint and AT&T. I'm still friends with the remaining ops person and can
probably setup a peering session with him. I also have another buddy
with the ability to do BGP via Cogent.

> There is good use in general for a public no-distribute feed but I
> have yet to find such a thing. Is there a reason for that, or could I
> bribe my datacenter to give me a feed and then create my own public
> server with some el-cheapo Quagga and a bag of rainbows for hope?

Good question. Perhaps I  could peer with my above mentioned sources and
http://www.quagga.net/route-server.php or http://www.routeviews.org/
(config instructions at http://www.routeviews.org/config.html)

That would be a fairly diverse set of views and hopefully sufficient for
my needs.

By the way I have a wiki page up with the details (more or less what I
outlined already) at http://www.socalwifi.net/index.php/Mesh_Experiment

I will write everything up there as well as post back results here.