On the subject of multihoming

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Tue Nov 4 20:47:18 UTC 2008

On 2008/11/04 10:32 PM Charles Wyble wrote:
> Obviously as they are consumer connections, I wouldn't get a BGP feed so
> would need to download a copy, which has the risk of stale data. Perhaps
> some sort of multihop BGP setup?
>
> I have done some research and found a lot of references to small site
> multihoming without BGP for link redundancy but not for traffic
> engineering.

I've played with that before. Essentially just EBGP Multi-hop with
next-hop rewrites on various community prefixes. Of course I had
access to a donor feed, that is probably the largest hurdle.

There is good use in general for a public no-distribute feed but I
have yet to find such a thing. Is there a reason for that, or could I
bribe my datacenter to give me a feed and then create my own public
server with some el-cheapo Quagga and a bag of rainbows for hope?