Sprint v. Cogent, some clarity & facts

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Tue Nov 4 17:30:08 UTC 2008

* tomb at byrneit.net (Tomas L. Byrnes) [Tue 04 Nov 2008, 17:51 CET]:
>The concept of "Transit Free" is a political failure, not a technical
>one.

Yeah, networks should be free!  And Cogent, if they don't get access to
Sprint directly, should just set a default route over some public IX
where Sprint is also present at to reach their network!!  And then hack
their routers to do likewise.

>The protocols are designed, and the original concept behind the Internet
>is, to propagate all reachability via all paths. IE to use Transit if
>peering fails.

Yeah, the original concept of the internet.  Like classful IP routing.

>Not doing so is a policy decision that breaks the redundancy in the
>original design.

Because the original design totally had in mind established players
locking out cheaper newcomers and explicitly specified a maximum band
where prices for transit had to exist inside of.

Please stop it.  We've had enough.

	-- Niels.

--
"We humans get marks for consistency. We always opt for
  civilization after exhausting the alternatives."