Sprint v. Cogent, some clarity & facts

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Mon Nov 3 12:58:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Paul Wall <pauldotwall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
>> 1. Neither Sprint nor Cogent have transit
>> Both Sprint & Cogent are transit-free networks.  (Notice how I carefully
>> avoided saying "tier one"?)
>
> How do you explain Cogent's arrangement with NTT (AS 2914)?  If it's
> not transit, what is it?

So you are asking to have what was Cogent's arrangement with NTT?
That's like asking what was AOL's relationship with Level(3) when they
had their peering spat with Sprint.      Just because a relationship
existed in the past does not mean the same relationship exists today.
  Accept the fact that both providers are transit free and move
forward.

> Does Akamai have peering arrangements with Cogent directly?

Akamai are self declared peering sluts.     So, yes, they have direct
peering arrangements with Cogent.

charles