routing around Sprint's depeering damage

Eric Jensen ejensen at jensenresearch.com
Sun Nov 2 19:30:16 UTC 2008

>Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 14:09:43 -0500
>From: Adam Rothschild <asr+nanog at latency.net>
>
>On 2008-11-02-10:14:14, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at eeph.com> wrote:
> > But seriously, it shouldn't be necessary to have two connections at
> > work [...]
>If anything, these recent de-peerings underscore the lack of wisdom in
>end users connecting to (or purchasing CDN services from) members
>of the tier 1 club directly.

This is the take-away message for me.  Buying transit from Tier 1 (and
especially almost-Tier 1) providers is a risky idea for single-homed
customers.  Tier 1 connectivity could be cheaper, and could be
better-performing, but has this potential for severe connectivity issues.

Single-homed end users would be well-advised to buy transit from a
multi-homed tier 2/3 ISP.  Single-homed SPs (such as Sprint Wireless, for
example) should become multi-homed or buy transit from such a multi-homed
tier 2/3 ISP as well.

- Eric