routing around Sprint's depeering damage

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Nov 2 14:33:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Rod Beck wrote:

> It is a short term issue that probably doesn't merit government
> intervention

The only government intervention I can imagine as being productive would
be to mandate what the "Internet" is, and if someone is selling access to
it, mandate that customers can demand a refund in case the "Internet
Access" doesn't provide access to enough a big part of it in a well enough
working manner.

If two parties were both to lose enough money over cutting off peering,
then perhaps they'd make sure there was a backup path that at least worked
well enough to enable them to refuse to refund their respective customers.

I see lots of problems with definitions in this model, but it's worked
(for some definition of "worked") in other areas and it might work here as
well.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se