Sending vs requesting. Was: Re: Sprint / Cogent

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Nov 1 16:05:26 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, bas <kilobit at gmail.com> said:
> I've heard eyeball networks refer to traffic flows as sending too..
> "You content hosters are sending us too much traffic, we want money to
> upgrade ports and transport all that traffic"  Complete reverse logic
> imho. It is always eyeball network customers that request data.
> (except for a small portion of iphone/blackberry push email, but that
> can't account for much.)

Traffic sources tend to be concentrated in large data centers (easier to
service), while traffic sinks (DSL, cable, wireless) are widespread and
costly to upgrade.  The sink customers don't want to pay more (and
there's at least some competition), so the sink providers look to see
where else they get income to pay for their needed network upgrades.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>