amazonaws.com?

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Thu May 29 15:45:35 UTC 2008

On May 28, 2008 at 23:53 beckman at angryox.com (Peter Beckman) wrote:

 >   Getting someone to fax their ID in takes extra time and resources, and
 >   means it might be hours before you get your account "approved," and for
 >   some service providers, part of the value of the service is the immediacy
 >   in which a customer can gain new service.

Right, which means they're monetizing the risk and cost of damages for
the rest of the net. They're selling your resources also (e.g., need
for firewalls, bandwidth, cleanup.) That monetization needs to be
recognized.

If I rented cars to people w/o checking creds to a reasonable standard
and those cars were used in the commission of crimes or generated a
lot of insurance claims and emergency personnel expenses what would
the reaction be? I doubt it would be "...but fast turnaround is that
car rental company's competitive advantage! what can they do???"

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide