IOS Rookit: the sky isn't falling (yet)

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Thu May 29 15:27:34 UTC 2008

New keys, to be stored on the crypto chip, would presumably be delivered in
a separately signed package using a master key that would not change
(embedded within the chip).  Maybe Cisco even doesn't have this key, and
would need to send a revocation or new public key to be stored on the chip
to the chip manufacturer, who would sign it with the master private key and
which then could be delivered in a software update to the system.  There are
many possibilities, and no crypto scheme is foolproof.  That much has been
proven.  But no, you would not make the on-chip EEPROM of the crypto chip
"flashable" in the normal meaning of the word.  You would send the chip a
pointer to a buffer that contains a signed update key, and the chip itself
would verify that signature and only then program the updated key(s).

My intention was not to turn nanog into a crypto forum.  I'd be much more
interested in any unique methods that people use to harden their systems
that have not already been widely distributed through vendor or industry
best practices.

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697