AT&T BGP blackholing

Paul Wall pauldotwall at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:59:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Philip L. <phil at mindfury.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have information or a contact at AT&T with regards to setting up
> BGP blackholing with them?  I see that the question has been asked in the
> past but there was no definitive answer, at least none that I could find.

Good luck.

The problem is the MIS product managers would rather sell you their
DoS Clean Pipe solution rather than accept a prefix via a BGP session
with a unique community.

Their DoS Clean Pipe redirects your impacted networks into their
scrubber (Cisco Riverheads) then back towards your network.

What I find funny is that on the list of AT&T achievements of the past
100 years, the DoS Clean Pipe is listed in the 2000s while transistor
is listed for the 1940s. Whats next for 2008, claiming the Apple
iPhone or Cisco Telepresence as an AT&T achievement? Didn't know
resetting BGP next-hops was up there next to the transistor.

Mr. Wallingford says you should call up your MIS contact, but why
should you call up when most other networks let you black hole with an
existing or separate BGP session?

Sounds like AT&T MIS needs to get with the times and stop catering
only to the enterprise T1's.

Paul Wall

Drive slow...like Brucie.