IOS Rookit: the sky isn't falling (yet)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue May 27 22:10:29 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com>
>
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, goemon at anime.net wrote:
> > Are you buying directly from cisco or from resellers? If you are getting
> > counterfeit hardware directly from cisco then I guess we have real problems.
>
> According to the FBI presentation, which may not be a reliable source
> for this topic, Cisco has very few "direct" customers.
>
> Even if you think you are ordering "direct" from Cisco, e.g.
> www.cisco.com, the order seems to get forwarded to several primary Cisco
> resellers and the hardware shipped via a reseller.  Even most resellers
> buy their Cisco products from a primary reseller or a secondary reseller,
> not direct from Cisco.
>
> The FBI presentation did note that a few US Cisco customers, such as some
> unnamed large US telcos and unnamed intelligence agencies, do order and
> ship directly from Cisco.

A lot of folks order from  a reseller and Cisco  ships directly. This is
true for  many section 8a  resellers when selling to organizations under
those purchasing mandates...anyone spending  federal $$$. I suspect some
states have similar requirements. (Section 8a gives preference to small,
minority owned, and disadvantaged businesses.)

In any case, the reseller never sees this equipment. I am unclear on how
common this is in the non-8a part of the world, but I suspect a lot of
folks get their stuff direct from Cisco (or Juniper, for that matter),
even though they buy from a reseller, if they are buying bigger boxes
that small resellers are unlikely to stock.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)