[NANOG] Fiber Cut at 60 Hudson

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Tue May 27 19:17:19 UTC 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> I've also heard contradictory information from Level3 reps on some
> of the above, so I'm not asserting any accuracy for it; so just FYI.
>
> Maybe they finally got to looking into your problem and unplugged
> the fiber labeled 'Vermont' by accident. ;)

That's about what we experienced.  After about 45 hours they finally
managed to bring our service back up. :-/  Our problem is that when it
did come back up (assuming on the protect side of the ring) our first
hop latency to Level3 was through the roof, so we decided to keep our
BGP peer shutdown until things completely cleared up.  Unfortunately
for us I think there is a lot of "legacy" pre-Level3 network between
us in Albany and 60 Hudson/111 8th in NYC... a lot of stuff that
probably isn't well documented or maintained. (thus, the 40+ hour
outage)

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC