Same AS number from different location and Migration of IPaddresses

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at netcases.net
Sat May 24 20:22:17 UTC 2008

Patrick,

Your usage is quite consistent with the RFC 1930 guidelines on the use of
AS, which probably does need some updating but does have an operational
rather than a protocol theory viewpoint.

Specifically, an AS is defined not as a business entity, not as a routing
domain, but as:

   "...a connected group of one or more IP prefixes run by one
       or more network operators which has a SINGLE and CLEARLY DEFINED
       routing policy."

In this case, the sites have a common, coordinated routing policy. I do
agree that practicality does call for them to have a direct connection, but
otherwise, they meet the requirement of being one or more IP prefixes run by
one or more operators.

I do hope they register their routing policy, with appropriate comments.

Howard