Splitting ARIN assignment

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu May 22 17:02:29 UTC 2008

James Kelty wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking for an opinion from the group. I have an ARIN /21 assignment
> and a new requirement for a second data center. Rather than ask for
> another assignment, I would like to advertise one /22 from one location
> and the other /22 from the second location both with the same asn. My
> apps will work that way, so I don't have an issue internally, but I'm
> looking for a broader base opinion on that.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> -James

You should attempt to advertise the /21 at each site along with the
site's /22

If you dont have dedicated interconnectivity between the sites,
tunneling *carefully* should do the trick.

This will ensure that if/when those who filter on strict allocation
boundaries dont hear your /22, there will still be reachability, even if
suboptimal, to your sites.