[NANOG] Multihoming for small frys?

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Wed May 21 06:53:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Tony Varriale wrote:

> AFAIK, ARIN doesn't give out /22s anymore.
>
> Last time I went to the well...it's was a /20 or better.

Nah, it's /22 for multi-homed networks, /20 for single-homed.

http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/ipv4_initial_alloc.html

4.3.2.2 Multihomed Connection
For end-users who demonstrate an intent to announce the requested space in
a multihomed fashion, the minimum block of IP address space assigned is a
/22. If assignments smaller than a /22 are needed, multihomed end-users
should contact their upstream providers. When prefixes are assigned which
are longer than /20, they will be from a block reserved for that purpose.

Are there really networks who can justify a /20 that aren't multi-homed?
The mind boggles.

Andy

---
Andy Dills