[NANOG] Installation troubles with GlobalCrossing

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 20 01:05:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Paul Wall <pauldotwall at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5mb limit ingressing/traversing their backbone?
>
> Or 5mb limit to their router's control plane?
>
> Important to differentiate between the two.  I'd call the former
> totally unacceptable, and actionable per SLA 'till resolved (besides,
> whoever got taken down by a multi-gigabit PING FLOOD?); the latter is

seen them.. they can be painful :( a former customer got some
large/fragmented icmp flood during a may-day event as I recall.

> a concerned provider appropriately covering their base (I'd police
> random ICMP to even less, say 128kb).

at 1mbps rate-limited customers complained that 'your link is dropping
packets' (when they do a rapid-ping off their edge device with 4000
byte packets... which went over the 1mbps policer). There's certainly
some limit to be used, somewhere between 128k -> 2-4mbps. Also, it
highly depends on edge platform of course :(

-Chris