[NANOG] IOS rootkits

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Mon May 19 03:30:01 UTC 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>> The result from your check can easily be modified, first thing I would have
>> changed is the checker.
>
> That is a normal thing to do with rootkits (return bogus results). Which is
> part of the reason I suggested that method I did. Short of pulling the flash
> you're not going to get a fully unbiased view of what's it on it thusly the
> audit process has some limitations.
>
> A TCPA style boot process would be a better approach. It's certainly not a
> quick fix since it in general can't be retrofited to existing products.

EuSecWest released this interview about the rootkit with its creator,
Sebastian Muniz of Core Security, it also mentions a third party product
to detect some of these issues. Thank whatever diety we like for FX's
work, as obviously Cisco isn't there yet.

http://eusecwest.com/sebastian-muniz-da-ios-rootkit.html