[NANOG] US DoD receives chunked IPv6 /13 (14x /22 but not totally consecutive)

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun May 18 14:25:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Colin Alston wrote:
> On 16/05/2008 20:15 Christopher LILJENSTOLPE wrote:
>> 	My guess is that they don't want to be tied to only announcing a
>> single /13.  Each of those organizations is bigger than a lot of
>> service providers out there...
>
> Since when do you have to announce only the same size prefix as your
> allocation?

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six511 reads:

"c. plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
will assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity
through its single aggregated address allocation;"

Other regions have, or have had, similar requirements.

I'm not a native speaker, but I guess "single aggregated address
allocation" could be read to imply either 1) "one superblock [and
nothing else]", or 2) "at least one superblock that covers everything"
(with no implied statement on the more specifics).

Even if the interpretation is the second, the "benefit" of multiple
allocations is that they wouldn't need to route between all the
suballocations at least in one location in case someone is building
route filters so that it would reject more specifics.