[NANOG] Charter Communications going to sniff traffic for advertising?

Jean-Michel Planche jmp at witbe.net
Wed May 14 20:47:12 UTC 2008

In same spirit, something worst I think ...
If you are in some airport with a GSM/Wifi phone, you are going to
receive a mail, from local Wifi provider to explain you how to reach
his (local wifi) network.
Tested in Roissy / France, with iPhone. iPhone will switch from edge
to wifi connection. I think that some application try to reach their
server (like mail) and local provider sniff differents things (user
name / mail sure but what about passwd ??) to send you back an email.
Interesting ...

Jean-Michel Planche							blog: http://www.jmp.net
Chairman and co-founder Witbe				web : http://www.witbe.net
Follow me									http://www.twitter.com/jmplanche
2.0 Monitoring : relevant End to End monitoring for critical app. and
carrier class services