[NANOG] fair warning: less than 1000 days left to IPv4 exhaustion

JC Dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Tue May 13 18:25:37 UTC 2008

Tim Yocum wrote:

> Patrick is correct - the subscriber count is just north of 10k; likely
> far greater readership considering web archives, remailers, etc.

However... subscribership != readership.  There are always many
subscribers who don't actively read every post, or every day.  (I'm just
now catching up on 10 days of unread posts - it would be easy to declare
email bankruptcy and just mark it all read...)  All you have to do is
post an important announcement (such as "the mailing list is moving to a
new server") and then notice how few read it to prove the truth of this
fact.  :-)  Also, note how few read the list's welcome message, read the
FAQ, etc.

jc