[NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon May 12 16:19:06 UTC 2008

On 5/7/08, Tomas L. Byrnes <tomb at byrneit.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure what the issue is here.
>
>  Just about every modern firewall I've used has an option to enable PMTU
>  on interfaces, while blocking all other ICMP.
>
>  Is MS not running something manufactured in the last 10 years at their
>  perimeter?

Unless things have changed drastically since we parted ways, it's a simple
ACL applied on all edge interfaces.  It should be possible for them to modify
it to allow the list of ICMP subtypes listed at
http://www.cymru.com/Documents/icmp-messages.html

It would *certainly* make troubleshooting easier for the poor folks at
Microsoft, since one side effect of the edge filter being set that way
meant we couldn't traceroute outside the network; the port unreachable
messages never made it back, so everything outside the edge routers
was all just stars.

Of course, that was in a former lifetime, so it's entirely possible and
probable things have changed considerably since then.  ^_^;;

Matt
(speaking only for myself, not for my current employer, and most
certainly not for my previous employer who I'm still somewhat bitter
at, not having gotten any of my hardware back yet...)