[NANOG] FUS for IP space fragmentation (Re: fair warning: less than 1000 days left to IPv4 exhaustion)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat May 10 04:16:35 UTC 2008

Hi,

On May 9, 2008, at 9:02 PM, Edward B. DREGER wrote:
> Talk of IPv6 space hoarding and fragmentation.  Ughh.  Perhaps we can
> avoid repeating IPv4 mistakes with IPv6.

Would be nice, but alas, it seems we're doomed to repeat most past
mistakes.

> Let each allocation be long
> enough to contain sufficient address space; the space to the right is
> reserved for growth.

If I understand what you're suggesting, this is the rationale for the
RIR's receiving /12s from the IANA.  The theory was that the RIRs
needed /12s in order for them to allocate address space via a
bisection methodology, which would allow for growth in any of the
allocations made.

However, last I checked (which was a while ago), only APNIC had
actually carried through on this -- all the other RIRs (if they were
allocating out of the /12 blocks at all), were still allocating
sequentially.

Things might have changed (haven't been following what the RIRs do so
closely anymore)...

Regards,
-drc