[NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed May 7 21:40:02 UTC 2008

On 7 mei 2008, at 23:20, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

> I was responding to his post that blocking or disabling PMTUD was the
> way to avoid the ping of death, which is False, nothing more, nothing
> less.

I never said that disabling PMTUD will get rid of the ping of death,
what I said was that if your system is susceptible to a ping of death
you may be tempted to filter ICMP but if you do that then you need to
disable PMTUD because PMTUD + ICMP filtering = breakage.

> As far as who Iljitsch is, everyone misspeaks from time to time. Even
> those of us who have been at this for nearly 3 decades.

After making the jump to academia I often feel a bit long in the tooth
between all these students. But considering that (apparently) some
people have been posting flames on NANOG for 30 years makes me feel
young in comparison.  :-)