[NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

Nathan Anderson/FSR nathana at fsr.com
Tue May 6 20:57:28 UTC 2008

Brandon Butterworth wrote:

> I used to see it a lot when hosting on windows was popular and people
> realised they needed a firewall or decided to add a load balancer
> but broke PMTUD by leaving it enabled on the servers.

Yeah, but this is Microsoft's OWN server farm we are talking about here,
not some small podunk IIS-based hosting provider.

...well, you may be right.  I am probably giving MS too much credit here.

On another note, someone pointed out to me off-list that I apparently
tyop'd "hostmaster" when I sent the e-mail to MS.  I have since re-sent
it to the properly-spelled address and again promptly received a "User
unknown" bounceback.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC