[NANOG] Strange network behaviour

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Mon May 5 20:23:25 UTC 2008

> Did your inbound path change as a result?

Yes, I was trying to re-balance our inbound traffic a bit better. The
route-map change resulted in about 30% of our traffic coming in via
our other provider. The change was made around 16:00 (CDT) last
Friday, about 72 hours before this problem was brought to my attention.

> Sounds like a path asymmetry issue might be involved.

But why would the problem last almost 72 hours and be solved by a
single ICMP packet to a particular router? And why would only two of
our hosts be affected while all of our other systems work just fine?

I don't mean to whine, really! And I really don't mean to disagree,
I'm no expert in this stuff. I just don't understand what seems like
a very fine grained problem.