[NANOG] Strange network behaviour

Douglas K. Rand rand at meridian-enviro.com
Mon May 5 19:28:03 UTC 2008

In the popular tradition of replying to my own post ...

It seems that this problem started right around the time I changed our
BGP configuration. I did:

config term
route-map att_out permit 9999
set as-path prepend 19317 19317
exit
clear ip bgp 12.87.125.249 out

This change was to increase our prepending of our own AS path from 1
to two. It was:  set as-path prepend 19317

And we /could/ have had another host with a similar problem but with a
different end point, this time in Canada, and the (outbound) route to
our Canadian server does not transit either Level3 or Shaw cable.

We did not identify exactly when it started working again, we were
poking around this problem and then happened to check and it was
working. It is *possible*, but by no means confirmed, that a
traceroute allowed to go through all its timeouts to the Canadian
server may have also switched that problem off too.

Doug "Still searching for answers" Rand.