[NANOG] fair warning: less than 1000 days left to IPv4

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun May 4 19:12:48 UTC 2008

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

> IPv4 has enough addresses for every computer on Earth, and then some.

There are approximately 3.4 billion or a little less usable ip
addresses. there are 3.3 billion mobile phone users buying approximately
400,000 ip capable devices a day. That's a single industy,
notwithstanding how the are presently employed what do you think those
deployments are going to look like in 5 years? in 10?

How many ip addresses do you need to nat 100 million customers? how much
state do you have to carry to do port demux for their traffic?

I guess making it all scale is someone else's problem...