[NANOG] fair warning: less than 1000 days left to IPv4 exhaustion

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Sun May 4 03:35:59 UTC 2008

On 4/05/2008, at 3:22 PM, William Warren wrote:

> That also doesn't take into account how many /8's are being hoarded by
> organizations that don't need even 25% of that space.

Unless you're expecting those organisations to be really nice and make
that address space available to other organisations (ie. their RIR/
LIR, or the highest bidder on ebay), then I don't see how that's
relevant - whether they've got machines on those addresses or not,
from an outsider's point of view the address space is unavailable for
them to use.

..or, maybe your thought is that at some point these guys will start
using addresses in those /8s, and stop requesting new allocations from
their RIR/LIR, which will in turn slow down IPv4 allocations? I'm not
sure, but licking my finger and sticking it out the window suggests
that allocations to those with little-utilised /8s is a fairly small
percentage.

--
Nathan Ward