[NANOG] Comcast latency

James Michael Keller jmkeller at houseofzen.org
Thu May 1 14:25:11 UTC 2008

Tim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:43:46 -0500 mack <mack at exchange.alphared.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in latency within
>> Comcast's network?
>>

> Here, in New England, I normally see 20% packet loss between Comcast and Level3 in NewYork using MTR. It has been as high as 60% in the past so this is an improvement.
>
> -Tim Thompson

Remember that a number of ISP's 'core' routers are going to have ICMP
rate limits in place when one of their interfaces is the target.   While
you may see high packet loss across an ISP link, unless you are getting
similar numbers from all hops past that point you aren't looking at real
packet loss, since the transit packets are getting through fine.  It's
just the routers themselves that are ignoring requests or discarding

James Michael Keller