minimizing BGP link failure detection time

Sun Mar 30 14:54:54 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm currently getting started out with BGP so if I'm asking the obvious,
please forgive my ignorance.

On the topic of BGP convergence, may I ask what are the current best
practices for ensuring rapid link failure detection - especially when
dealing with an interface that is connected to 3rd party L2
infrastructure? e.g. an interface connected to an EBGP peer via Metro-E

As far as I'm aware, the most commonly used method to minimize link
failure detection time is to tune the keepalive/hold timers. I
understand that there are alternatives to this such as BFD and next hop
tracking - but support for this is limited on certain platforms.

I have looked through this presentation from APNIC 21.
http://www.apnic.net/meetings/21/docs/sigs/routing/routing-pres-hughes-bgp.pdf

What do you guys think of the recommendation for timers? (5s and 15s for
keepalive and hold timers respectively). However, since the presentation
is more than a year old, has BFD become a better solution to this?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks
--
ANG Kah Yik (bangky)