latency (was: RE: cooling door)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Mar 30 00:20:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Frank Coluccio wrote:

> We often discuss the empowerment afforded by optical technology, but we've barely
> scratched the surface of its ability to effect meaningful architectural changes.

If you talk to the server people, they have an issue with this:

Latency.

I've talked to people who have collapsed layers in their LAN because they
can see performance degradation for each additional switch packets have to
pass in their NFS-mount. Yes, higher speeds means lower serialisation
delay, but there is still a lookup time involved and 10GE is
substantionally more expensive than GE.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se