10GE router resource

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Thu Mar 27 08:33:45 UTC 2008

* Justin Shore

> Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

* Adrian Chadd

> Hands up those of you running Cat6500's in service provider
> environments.

*hand*

Actually, not quite yet, but I'm considering purchasing a pair of
Cat6500's (with Sup720 PFC3CXL) for a new colo I'm setting up, bundling
them together with VSS.  They'll terminate a few transit links and links
to other colos, in addition to functioning as distribution/access
switches for the data center itself.

Are you saying that there's something about the Cat6500's that makes
them unsuitable for such usage?  I'd sure like to hear more about that
before I go ahead and buy them, if so.

Up until now I've been using whiteboxes with Linux and Quagga for the
layer 3 services.  This setup has served us well, but it seems we're
starting to approach a performance limit at around 1 Gbps routed traffic
so we need new gear anyway - a good time to start doing routing in
hardware, I thought.

Regards
--
Tore Anderson