10GE router resource

Sargun Dhillon sdhillon at decarta.com
Wed Mar 26 22:54:36 UTC 2008

    I wonder how difficult it would be to integrate such a device on to
an x86 board cheaply. Something like NetFPGA (http://netfpga.org/) would
be an interesting place to start. The board has on board SRAM, a bit of
DRAM, an FPGA, and 2 GigE interfaces.
    I know it definitely isn't  normal for Network Operators to fund
research like this, but it would still be fairly interesting if there
was an Open Router  Consortium (something for Vyatta to start?) with
hardware acceleration to X86 routers. Possibly even making Quagga a
mainstream control plane. Right now Quagga is controlled by a few
engineers from Sun. This nearly produces a conflict on interest (Sun
used to have their own routing platform). Anyways, to end my rambling...
As network operators would you finance a low, medium end router with
decent ROI.  The question for developers (Vyatta primarily), could you
do what Digium did for Asterisk--become business front, and provide
platforms for Asterisk deployment in the enterprise--for Quagga, Linux,
etc?

--
+1.925.202.9485
Sargun Dhillon