10GE router resource

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed Mar 26 14:31:30 UTC 2008

At 09:59 AM 3/26/2008, you wrote:
> > Is there a multiport card out there on to which some of the
> > forwarding responsibilities can be offloaded?  Perhaps the
> > CPU doesn't need to see every packet that arrives on the machine.
>
>Am I the only person who has heard of Google?
>
>It didn't take me long to find this wiki page
>http://www.bro-ids.org/wiki/index.php/ClusterFrontends
>for an Opensource Intrusion Detection System that lists
>various 10G cards for Linux and a couple of FPGA cards
>so that you can roll your own ASICs. Anyway, this one
>http://www.lewiz.com/talon3220.html
>has two ports and claims to reach 8.8 Gbps with 1500 byte
>packets.
>
>People rolling their own router are not the only ones who
>want to do 10G on Linux.

Anyone who wants to roll your own more advanced apps on Linux without
reinventing the wheel may want to check out my friend's company:

http://www.bivio.net/products/bivio7000.htm

Even with their specialized hardware platform, bus, and extensive
tuning, they only get 10Gb/s throughput on the dual or quad 10G
modules. However you can do 100,000 line ACLs at that speed. It is
built for a different application than core routing. However, an XMR
or Sup720 will still be a lot cheaper and give better performance.

-Robert

Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin