10GE router resource

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:46:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM, William Herrin
<herrin-nanog at dirtside.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greg has laid out a great bit of information and I would like to add just
> > one possibility to the list of budget 10GE routers: Vyatta.  According to a
> > recent press release from that company
> > (http://www.vyatta.com/about/pressreleases.php?id=51) they offer a product
> > that is "2 to 3X higher performance at a cost savings of more than 75
> > percent" when compared to Cisco's 7200.
>

> "Vyatta operates at Layer 3 wire speed across three Gigabit Ethernet
> ports in full mesh when forwarding 512-byte frames or higher."
>
> 3x1 GE << 1x10 GE

It appears that I put my foot in my mouth.  I have read several claims
that the Vyatta software is scalable to 10G, most notably here:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/031708-vyatta-open-source-router.html.
 Upon further investigation, I have been unable to substantiate that
claim.

My experience is similar to those who have posted here, pps is the
limiting factor - usually somewhere between 500-800K.  Apparently I
was over eager to believe that more had been achieved.

To Ann's question on resources; I have only used Linux routers with 1G
ports but have surpassed 10G total throughput (up+ down) using various
dual proc set ups, most often Intel Xeon in Dell servers.  A gentlemen
by the name of Martin Pels wrote a good paper on the subject early
last year that can be found here:
http://docs.rodecker.nl/10-GE_Routing_on_Linux.pdf.  He hit a wall at
700K pps and was using two dual core Intel Xeon 64bit 2.33GHz CPUs and
2GB of RAM in a Dell PowerEdge 1950.

~Chris