10GE router resource

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Mar 25 18:27:34 UTC 2008

Chris Grundemann wrote:
> Greg has laid out a great bit of information and I would like to add
> just one possibility to the list of budget 10GE routers: Vyatta.
> According to a recent press release from that company
> (http://www.vyatta.com/about/pressreleases.php?id=51) they offer a
> product that is "2 to 3X higher performance at a cost savings of more
> than 75 percent" when compared to Cisco's 7200.  Unfortunately I have
> not had the opportunity to test or use the Vyatta routers yet; I have
> however successfully used other open-source Linux based routers in the
> past with great success.  If  you are looking for a truly budget 10GE
> router, they may be worth adding to the list and looking into.

Whether you can actually do 10Gb/s reasonably on a linux or freebsd
soft-switched router platform is going to depend a lot on your actual
pps rate.

800K pps which is 10Gb/s / 1500 bytes is feasible, but 19M pps which is
10Gb/s / 64 bytes is not.

Susceptibility to dos traffic at relatively low bit, but high pps rates
is a general issue with soft-switched platforms. and needs to be
accounted for in model deployments.