Looking for Clue at Earthlink

Rob Szarka szlists at szarka.org
Mon Mar 24 22:14:48 UTC 2008

At 05:31 PM 3/24/2008, Barry Shein wrote:
>  > Specifically, the issue relates to the servers in 209.86.89.0/24, in
>  > case anyone here is already aware of an issue with the servers in
>  > this block and can help.
>
>Do you mean how they're pwned and just spew dictionary attacks?

No, that's a problem that I've given up on trying to solve.
Unfortunately, those servers also occasionally send some legitimate
email, and my customers want to receive that, so not receiving email
from those servers is actually a problem despite the welcome respite
from Earthlink spam...

I figured out that the problem has to do with their servers being
very impatient and not wanting to wait for mine to check the RBLs.
Which is, of course, pretty ironic considering how much spam they
spew. You'd think that their servers would shuffle the mail off to
another, more tolerant server, but instead the same server just keeps
retrying it with the same aggressive timeout... *sigh*

Seems as if over the past decade Earthlink and AOL have nearly traded places!