10GE router resource

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Mar 24 20:09:42 UTC 2008

Joel Snyder wrote:

>  >>> Also I'd love to hear recommendatios for "budget" 10GE
>  >>> routers. The "budget" router would be used to hook up
>  >>> client networks through one 10GE interface and connect
>  >>> to different transit providers through two 10GE
>  >>> interfaces.
>
> If you don't need BGP-ish power, David Newman just published his test of
> 10GigE switches today in Network World. He was focusing mostly on
> switching in the enterprise, but he has a variety of other performance
> metrics and results which may be helpful:
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2008/032408-switch-test.html?t51hb

The author's specifications eliminated Cisco's 4900M from the
competition.  That not unexpected though since it was a evaluation of
access switches w/ 10G uplinks.  The 4900M has 8 on-board 10G interfaces
and expansion modules that can carry 8 more (not oversubscribed) or 16
(oversubscribed).  It has has GigE support via TwinGig modules in the
expansion module bays.  It also has a 320Gbps backplane and can handle
up to 200k v4 routes.  It's an impressive little switch if you need 10G
aggregation.  It can't handle a full table of course but it still has a
lot of use.  No MPLS options.  It's based on the 4500's Sup 6-E.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9310/index.html

The base unit starts at $16k.

Justin